Thursday, April 14, 2011

The DIET

A post or two I referenced the migraine diet and promised more detail. Here it is. If you don't get migraines or don't know anyone who does, you may want to skip this one.

Last August my dear friend Susan introduced me to Dr. Sanchez. After a 4 hour wait I was finally done with my initial appointment. His approach was rather straight forward. I got a daily preventive drug and I was to keep a food log. Ok. Easy enough, especially after he said he thought he could get me to a headache or 2 a year.

I dutifully took my medicine that night. The next morning I could not wake up. Everything was in slow motion. I finally rolled into work around 10 am. When I got there, I just sat there and looked at my screen. By 11 I realized this was not going to work. He suggested I cut them in two going forward. Evidently, I am quite sensitive to this stuff. Later a nurse friend laughed when I told her about it. "You were stoned!" I seriously don't get wh someone chooses that state if mind.

After about a month of logging every morsel, I headed back. I thought Janice was bad with her red ink. Yogurt, gone. Nuts, gone. That was two-thirds of my normal breakfast. He did let me keep the blueberries. My typical lunch was next. Cheese, deli meat, balsamic vinegar. All theoretically remover from the diet. Later it was beans, all pork, bananas, grapes, raisins. The list became ling but the final blows were the worst. Aspartame, sucralose and chocolate. I quickly informed him that I was willing to humor him, but I had to draw the line at chocolate.

He kind of chuckled and said he'd see me in two months. Some days I did well, others not so much. I just couldn't believe so many foods I love could be so painful. After about six months I decided I really needed to buckle. After enough pain even a Reese's cup isn't worth it any more. I did a good job sticking to it for about when I realized I was basically eating potatoes.

Enter the nutritionist Carol Ann. I can really tell a difference. I am almost brave enough to try to add some things back. I'll let you know how it goes but I did want to share that with you all. After about 35 years, it's kind of cool knowing that we're finally figuring out the cause.

No comments: