Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Nutcrackers

Ok.  Not my proudest moment, but I committed to about once a week or so you're getting the good, the bad and the ugly.  I don't think I've hit ugly, yet, but...

My baby loves nutcrackers and wanted a picture with all his nutcrackers.  He painstakingly set them all up.  I thought I would get the benefit of some afternoon sun on the stairs, but I still needed the flash.  I tried it in every imaginable direction except directly at him.  This shot is at 1/200, ISO 800, f/4.5 - I had all kind of variations for shutter speed and aperture.  I just happen to like his focus (and his bedhead).



He loves to pose - this totally captures his "I'm a serious model look."  I'm am still playing with all the Lightroom presets in addition to the basic adjustments I make.  Top is using Aged Photo and the bottom is right out of the camera.  I really like the focus on his face without losing all the color.  




I'm learning here - would love any comments from any of you experienced shutterbugs out there.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OOOooo I love the Aged Photo. My first look was a simple "Oh that is nice" but as I looked a bit more I really liked how you could still see a bit of the color of the nutcrackers. I am still trying to get over a bad cold but once it is done, I will get my Lightroom post up.

Molly said...

I like the first one I think. I've come to look several times to figure out which one I like best and the subtlety of the Aged Photo is it, I think. The other is fun too, in a journalistic/periodical way, so that made it hard.

April said...

Not sure how old your little fella is there, but he looks close in age to my 7yo and he LOVES nutcrackers too. It started a few years ago. I bought him one that I wrote his name on the bottom and it is his special nutcracker.

Cycle Mom said...

I should warn you that before he could say Christopher, he called himself "Fitfer." Once a very nice gentleman said to him, "How ya doin' fella?" He puffed up his chest and got his very biggest 3-year-old voice and said, "I NOT fella. I Fitfer."

His entertainment value has not changed much in the past 5 years. Thanks for the comment.

Btw, we homeschool, too - love your profile.