Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Playing with Lightroom

I just got my copy of Lightroom (Lr) this week and I have been spending entirely too much time playing with it.  Until 3:20 am the first morning to be exact.

The photo below is a combination of playing with the my new 24-70 lens and with Lr.  It's one of the few pix I took with it - most of the action shots I have taken have been with the 70-200mm.  I have struggled with the action shots in the gym, but the new lenses have definitely made a difference.  While this still isn't super crisp, I do get CBT stealing the ball.  I also like the effect of making it more monochrome.  Seems to focus you more on the point I'm making - he's stealing the ball.  It's a standard Sepia preset in Lr with a small Vignette on the corners.



Here's the same picture using the Lr preset Direct Positive.  For some reason, I love it for the shots in the gym.  Curious what you think.

 

Settings were 1/200 sec at f/2.8, focal length 70mm, ISO 1600 with the EF24-70mm f/2.8L USM

5 comments:

Molly said...

I like both for different reasons:

the first pares it down to just the facts, m'am and zeroes you in on the moment.

the second is rich and you can imagine you hear the squeak and slap of shoes on the court floor, the parents yelling support and the echo of a whistle...

Anonymous said...

Looks like you are loving Lighroom!!

Rick said...

Cool - it interesting to compare the too. It's a great action shot either way.

Anonymous said...

Wait just one minute! WHAT lenses did you get for Christmas? Did you get two?! Was it because of Molly math? I have to go back and read and see the blessings that have come into your life recently.

Love the lightroom action! Love lightroom!

Traci

Cycle Mom said...

I have the absolutely sweetest husband in the world. I got the 24-70 and the 70-200. My bffm (aka Molly) discreetly sent him an e-mail about a sale at Shootsac and I got a Shootsac, also. He enjoyed photography long before I did.

Did I mention that my boys gave me BOTH the basic Kelby books, too.

PS He did say I was done for gifts for the year. But, who needs more gifts. It will take me that long to get all my old photos organized in Lightroom!